Tuesday, October 19, 2010

One Carrot, Please.

Why do I feel bad when I eat? Not physically bad like I’m going to be sick. Mentally, I feel bad that I’ve just consumed any amount of calories.

I count every single calorie that crosses my teeth and track it all in a food journal. I read every single nutrition label before I purchase anything at the supermarket. I weigh and measure all my food before I eat it and count the number of slices of turkey on my sandwich without condiments. I consume about the same amount of calories in an entire day that most people eat by 11am.

Still, every time I eat I feel like I’ve done something wrong. Fat girl is eating again? What’s that, yogurt? You know how many carbs are in that? A granola bar? Are you kidding, that’s full of sugar. I don’t even drink real milk, not even skim.

I hate grocery shopping. Why should I spend money on food when I don’t enjoy eating it? I’m an educated medical professional and I fully understand how to balance my nutritional needs. I know that not eating enough calories will actually do more harm than good. I’m aware of the need for a healthy combination of diet and exercise in order to build lean muscle and burn fat and calories.

My scale does not understand.
My pants do not understand.
My self worth does not understand.

My calorie intake runs my life. It’s no way to live and it makes me unhappy. But I’m unhappy about being this size too. What’s a fat girl to do…

2 comments:

  1. So... I found out that lack of Vitamin D is not only common in my family, but horribly common in new moms. (Something about the baby sucking the life-- er, NUTRIENTS out of our bodies and not being able to recover from it immediately.) I started taking Vitamin D supplements (2000IU a day) and have lost ten pounds in five days thanks to my body not holding onto EVERYTHING to get whatever nutrients it could. (My mom was so low that she had to start taking 25000 IU a day. Lost almost 25 lbs in two weeks.) All while wolfing down a homemade apple pie last night with the hubs and a friend of his in town. Might be something related for you? (In short, I'd suggest getting your Vitamin D checked next doctors appt you have.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.oprah.com/oprahradio/Vitamin-D-Deficiency/1

    (This goes along with that.)

    ReplyDelete