Monday, July 20, 2015

And A Mortgage On Top Of It All

Oh the joys of home ownership. Don't get me wrong, I love that I can finally do whatever I want to my house because it's MY house. But paying for it and actually finding time to DO it? Whole different ballgame. 

We've been in our house now a full year and have done some minor things but still have a huge project list that has yet to be started. I won't bore you with my full wish list, just know that it's going to take a really long time. Like, a long time. Like the kids might not be living at home anymore by the time some of it gets done. In that case I will be making expensive home improvements just so I can sell the house because we fully intend on retiring early and buying a smaller house just for us in another state that doesn't have such a cruel summer. I hate summer. That's another blog for another day.

But a few things need to happen now. The whole-house fan needs to get installed before yesterday. It's so freaking hot in Michigan in the summer. It just sucks the life out of me. Then the attic needs to be completely re-insulated before it gets cold. It's so freaking cold in Michigan in the winter and the house is drafty. Also why we will be replacing the entire front door and jam and the fireplace. The deck boards need to be replaced before the first frost to they can "weather" for 6 months before we can refinish the whole thing (a Spring project). 

I'm happy to have finally purchased my own home at the age of 32. But also, kind of sad. We've lived in a lot of places and none of them were perfect. I was fine with all the little things I didn't like because we'd just move again and we always learned from the last place what to look for next. But this time there's no "next house." This is it. We've got what we've got. And we keep finding hidden gems that as first time home buyers we never thought about. Like the giant maple tree in the back yard that leans over the house causing potential (read expensive) roof hazards during any one of the nasty storms we get. Initially I saw it as a shade tree. But it's jeopardizing position has come to light. (See what I did there?) 

I need to be on one of those HGTV shows that remodels and decorates and designs everything for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment