Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

The last few days have been insane. I'm not sure how many hours of sleep I actually got because I can't function well enough to count.

My department at the hospital has 6 people that keep it going 24/7, which right from the start is not enough. One of them is out on maternity leave until December. We've all adjusted our schedules and sucked it up to cover her shifts while she's gone. It never occurred to management to actually get another person to help. But I get it, it's temporary.

Then one of our techs had an emergency appendectomy, two days later another tech went on leave of absence. That leaves 3 of us. Except that Jesse had a planned vacation before all this happened. He covered 36 hours straight before going out of town. I came in on my day off to relieve him and for the next 5 days it was just me and one other girl keeping this department alive every hour. The department survived. The two of us are another story.

Last night my eyes were blurry, my head was foggy, my legs felt completely disconnected from my body. And I was still on call.

Jesse is back from vacation and one of those three techs is back from leave. Still, even with 4 of us we are stretched so thin and working way too hard. I texted Ashley and begged her to come back from maternity early. Next time you have a baby just strap him to your back and keep working. If Sacagawea can do it so can you. And, Amanda, next time you have an infection that requires surgery just take some aspirin. You're tough, you'll be fine.

After my shift tonight I am on call. Then? Sleep.

Sleep. Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment