Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I'm Blessed To Have Known Her

It's never easy when a loved one passes away. I never realized how hard it would be when someone else's loved one passed, though.

My best friend's mother passed away over the weekend. She was diagnosed with an inoperable form of cancer in September and was placed in Hospice care a little over a week ago. I'm not sure anyone was prepared for how quickly she declined. After of a few days at home she decided she didn't want to take her medications anymore or be on oxygen. Saturday afternoon at 3:38pm EST Robinn took her last breath and left this painful world.

I wasn't exceptionally close to her, but as the mother of my best friend of the last 17 years Robinn has been a very present light in my life. She was there when I graduated high school. She saw me get married, she held my son before my own mother did when he was just days old.

My heart aches for my friend as she goes through such a difficult time. It's killing me to not be back in Michigan with her. She's my best friend, I should be there crying with her. Although we both live in California we are two hours apart and now she is across the country with her family. I haven't even hugged her and I can't be there for her right now. All I can do is tell her I love her and it seems so small. The more I think about it, though, she's probably hugged out and cried out and I think I'm the one that needs the hug from her.

The funeral is Wednesday, followed by a series of holidays that will be drastically different forever without Robinn's smile. I pray for peace for her family and strength to make it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment