Friday, August 16, 2013

Depends on what you mean by "problem"

The other day a Facebook friend of mine posted a status about her Christmas problem. Her problem being that it's the middle of August and she already has Christmas done. Not done as in presents bought. No, I mean she has blueprints of how the furniture will be rearranged to accommodate the tree, which is already decorated in her head (from her labeled ornament boxes which are organized by shape, size, and color). Not only does she know what she will be serving for Christmas Eve dinner, she knows who will bring what dish and I'm pretty sure she has a seating arrangement. She has a baking schedule and plans for homemade wreaths and garland. She has already sewn new drapes that will match the holiday decor and is making advent calendars.

That's a Christmas problem.

Or is it? Year after year I tell myself I will have a plan. Next year will be different. I will get it together. If I were as organized as she is I wouldn't be running to the post office on December 15 with a stack of Christmas cards that I hope all have stamps on them. Inevitably there will be at least 2 that didn't get a stamp because I ran out and all the post office has left on December 15 is the Madonna with the creepy baby that nobody else wants.

If I had a well thought out plan like my friend does I wouldn't be scrambling to get my cookies baked on December 23 before the family party where I will be handing them out as gifts. I wouldn't need to go to three different grocery stores to get everything I need to make/bake my assigned dish for dinner because I would have gotten it before Thanksgiving.

So maybe being done with Christmas in the middle of August isn't such a bad thing. Maybe I should take a few pointers from my friend and actually get it together this year. After all, on top of the regular Christmas craziness I'm going to have a newborn which will only further complicate the ability to get things done.

I think this year for my birthday I will buy myself holiday stamps. 

1 comment:

  1. While I agree that a newborn will complicate things, also consider that you will be on maternity leave! You won't have to fight crazy holiday traffic at the grocery store; you can just take the sleeping baby with you at 9am on a Tuesday and happily bake during nap time. :)

    ReplyDelete