Friday, November 8, 2013

A little Something Something

I was beyond discouraged and getting tired of waiting. It had been over 12 hours since I got the pitocin to induce labor and nothing was happening to make Baby Girl's appearance come any sooner. At some point I started feeling some cramping and a little pressure in my low back. Apparently those were contractions and I just needed a boost from my epidural.

With that the nurse decided to check my cervix. 3cm. I had been at 3cm all stinkin' day but the thought was that if I could feel the contractions then they must be getting stronger and maybe this was the "something" we had been waiting for. Nope.

It was about 7:00pm and it was shift change. Brian noticed I was shivering. He asked if I was cold and asked the new nurse for another blanket. She brought me one but I told her I wasn't really that cold, I just couldn't stop shaking. As she covered me up and got report from the day shift nurse I could see wheels turning in her head. After getting report she said "I'm going to go get the bassinet ready. We're having a baby."

Apparently the involuntary shaking is a sign of change in the body. It's just one of the ways a body reacts when it senses something is about to happen. Darlene, my nurse, had just come on shift after getting report that nothing was happening. Then all of a sudden she was confident that this was the "something" and started getting everything ready. Really? Because of some shivers? But labor and delivery nurses are amazing and have a special intuition, and she was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment