Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Hurry up and wait

It was a long day. I was much more comfortable after getting the epidural and they were able to up the pitocin dosage since I wasn't feeling any of the contractions. Dr Gunnarson was available to come in just for me until 6:00pm and everyone assumed we would have a baby by then.

Progress was slow. The idea behind increasing the pitocin is to make the contractions stronger and effectively pushing the baby down into the pelvis, or what for most women people call when the baby "drops." When that happens the pressure on the cervix is what makes you dilate. As they increased the pitocin to speed things up our little girl didn't tolerate it very well. She started having drops in her heart rate and not moving down at all. Dr Greenburg decided to back way off on the pitocin and thus slowed things even more.

Whats more, Baby Girl was head down but facing backwards causing a lot of back labor. It's really not advisable to deliver like that so my nurses actually had me lay flat on my stomach trying to "squish" her and get her to flip. None of this was comfortable. I was flipping and flopping and stretching and getting discouraged that nothing was happening. Everyone kept saying that as soon as things started to happen it would go very fast. I was just waiting for the "something" to happen.

Six o'clock came and I got a phone call in my room. It was Dr Gunnarson. She had talked to my nurses and new what was going on. She called to give me a pep talk. How awesome is she? Unfortunately, since nothing was progressing and the day was over she would not be able to deliver. I asked my nurse who was on call the next day, Friday, in case it wouldn't be Dr Greenburg either. Everyone assured me that there was no way, No Way, I wasn't having this baby that night. I wasn't so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment