Monday, January 14, 2013

Life Lessons

I am the youngest of three girls. I never really saw this as a problem, my dad might think otherwise. What I do consider fortunate, though, is that there is a large age gap between us. This not only provided my parents with the added challenge of a newborn while trying to deal with two teenage girls, but also the opportunity for me to learn from my sisters as I grew up. Here are some of the life lessons my big sisters have taught me over the last 30 years, helpful or not.

It is ok to skip a shower and just touch up your make-up when you’re running late. This is half true. You need to at least wash your face. Yesterday’s make-up does not look as good as you think it does.

Be careful when you’re young, nicknames will stick with you To this day my sisters call me Bug and Squirt. Don’t ask.

Doritos and orange juice do not go together. You will throw up. Guaranteed.

Do not marry too young or too fast Those aren’t exactly the reasons why both of my sisters are divorced, but good advice nonetheless. They are each on their second (and last) marriage and both men are far better than the first. I’m 6 years into my marriage and glad I have role models.

Wendy's has the best french fries after you have your wisdom teeth pulled My sister is wrong here. Wendy's has the best french fries anytime.

Euchre is a cut throat game. Take no prisoners.

Ranch dressing is good on everything. Except Doritos. You will throw up.

Family is family, no matter what I live 2,300 miles away but I still made it to my nephew’s graduation and my sister’s wedding. My oldest sister still sends me random packages and presents for my son whenever she sees something cute for him.

Debi Kelly & Joanne

1 comment:

  1. Dude Euchre is totally a cut throat game. It's serious business.

    ReplyDelete