Tuesday, January 8, 2013

To Buy or Not To Buy

I'm going to lose the chunk around my midsection. I will. It's not a New Year's resolution, it's a constant battle and a continuous effort I've been struggling with for the last X years.

The first time Brian deployed I got really serious about it. I only had me to worry about, no kid and no husband to come home and make dinner for or spend time with. I had extra time on my hands. Rather than spend it at home alone feeling depressed about the deployment I went to the gym. I ate better because I was only cooking for me. I lost almost 40lbs.

The second deployment I was pregnant and gained 35lbs. I don't count that.

Now, almost three years after my son was born I am back to my pre-baby weight and have been maintaining that for some time. It's not comfortable like it was pre-baby, though. The numbers on the scale are the same but my shape is different and my clothes still don't fit. I'm unhappy.

I joined a gym. I went twice. I swore I would walk on my lunch break. I've been working through lunch. I make excuses about not having time and everything else a lazy person says.

I think I've convinced myself that if I had some kind of workout equipment at home that I would use it after Caleb goes to bed, or get up 20 minutes earlier in the morning. Times when the past has proven I won't go to the gym because I don't want to go out late or brush my teeth.

But if the eliptical were already there? If the Tony Little Gazelle were just in the other room... Would I use it? Or would it be a waste of money? I found a few on Craig's list for a reasonable price.... can I make that commitment?

1 comment:

  1. You will use it at first. Then it will become a clothes rack, toy for Caleb, etc. The easiest thing (for me) was doing something I could do WITH my family. It started as taking Reagan for a walk to the park. Then my runner of a husband wanted me to run with him. I don't run... only when chased. We bought a used jogging stroller. The first few times were brutal. He was jogging along fine and I couldn't breathe. We went every night when he got home from work and it got easier everytime and it just worked for us. I didn't have to pick between exercising or family time. We all just went together. Not saying that you have to start running... but consider options where everyone can get involved. It might make it easier to stick to. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete