Sunday, January 27, 2013

Beyond Counting Calories

The 80's were all about aerobics. The 90's were about fad diets. The early 2000's were about pills, shakes, juicers, and supplements. Now it's all about eating the right food at the right time.

I just read the entire Jan/Feb issue of Health Magazine: 2013 Weight Loss Issue. Pick up a copy, there is a lot of good information in there. I'm completely overwhelmed. It seems the trend now is to focus on food and eating right and then get in whatever exercise you can. Notice I said eating "right" and not eating "well." Yes, apparently now there is a right and a wrong way to eat and it all depends on what your ultimate goal is. If you're trying to work out and bulk up, crank up the protein. If you're a runner, more carbs. But actual weight loss is all about the perfect balance of calories, protein, and very specific fortifying (there's a buzz word for you) minerals.

There are just so many rules. I'm supposed to get x amount of whole grains per day, but how do I do that without going over my calorie count? If I make sure I eat a protein every time I eat then how do I get enough of the good sugars? Don't eat this at the same time as that. Make sure you watch your fiber to carb ratio. Pay attention to your folic acid intake, your potassium, magnesium, and vitamin A. It's a whirlpool in my head.

And apparently I've been eating all the wrong healthy foods. You heard me. Sweet potatoes, not carrots. Pears, not apples. Full fat greek yogurt, not low fat normal yogurt. Parsley, not broccoli.

I can't keep up. You know what I want? Cheesecake. I want cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment