Saturday, September 21, 2013

Getting Real

We went on our hospital tour today. It made things really real. I'm having baby girl at a different hospital than where Caleb was born and realized I had no clue where I was going when I ended up in L&D at 11pm. At least I'm familiar with the hospital itself because I've worked there and had so many appointments. Brian didn't even know where to park.

She covered pretty much everything I could think of except the NICU. We walked past it and I wanted to look in. I wanted to ask a million questions. At the end we hung back and asked her about visitors, hours, etc. She told me she would have one of the NICU nurses call me next week because she really didn't know much.

When she was explaining to the whole group how a typical birth experience goes she painted this beautiful picture of bonding and creating a healthy environment for the baby. She talked about bringing the baby right to mom before cleaning them and the importance of immediate skin to skin contact. All the wonderful things that they do that make the baby's transition in to an air breathing world so much better. I nearly cried because I know it won't be like that for me. I have horrible nightmares about them just taking her away without even getting to hold her.

We're also painting her dressers this weekend. We realized we're about out of weekends to get things ready for her. Brian is out right now picking up a sanding block from my step-brother and then we're going to get the paint. After they're done and in the room I just need to wash everything and put it all away. I need to make one trip to buy a few small things and then I think we'll be ready for her. Oh, except for a name.

2 comments:

  1. hopefully she'll come out breathing well and you will get to hold her right away. I know you didn't get to with caleb. I didn't with either of my boys either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I didn't get to hold Caleb. I didn't even know what was going on they took him so fast. I had no idea he wasn't breathing. All I knew is that they took him away. I'm not sure if not knowing was easier or harder. But he recovered and I got to hold him. I'm scared she'll go right to the NICU and I'll just see her through glass.

      Delete