Thursday, August 12, 2010

Have you ever heard of a baby teething at three months? My son must be in some kind of hurry to grow up. Ok, I don’t know for sure that he is teething but my Google-educated guess is that he is. Here’s why I think this:

*While he is not actually cutting any teeth his gums are white. At his two month check up the pediatrician said “look at all those teeth!”
*He is sleeping more than usual during the day and when he’s awake all he does is fuss
*He is more attached to his binky than ever
*People who come over swear I am the owner of a St Bernard based on the amount of drool all over my house

But really, isn’t it a bit early for all this? I’m also convinced that he will walk before he crawls. If you try to set him on your lap or on the couch in a sitting position he’ll have nothing of it. He locks his legs up and stands. Mister’s idea of tummy time is 1.8 seconds on his belly followed by screams that make my neighbors dog howl. My neighbor’s dog howling makes my dog bark. My dog barking makes the upstairs neighbor’s dog scratch and dig at the floor. The screaming, howling, barking and scratching makes The Captain turn up the volume on his first person shooter xbox game. It sounds like a whore house in Detroit in my living room.

I’m really in no hurry for Mister to grow up. I love that he snuggles with me and that when I kiss him instead of wiping it off he just giggles. He doesn’t know that there are bad people out there or that the world can be a mean place. He doesn’t worry about how much money is in his college fund and he could care less about what he’s wearing as long as his diaper is dry. He has no idea that someday his heart will be broken. Political issues mean nothing to him. The fact that he doesn’t understand the War On Terror is not naivety, it’s innocence.

All he knows is love and I’m determined to keep it that way as long as possible

2 comments:

  1. I hate to be one of those old sentimental ladies that says, "Enjoy it now...they grow up so fast..." but

    Enjoy it now. They grow up so fast.

    Thanks for sharing your space on the internet with me. It is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It goes by SO FAST! Bug was teething at three months and look at how many he has now. (We've currently got four coming in at once.) Enjoy the moments while you can... even the not-so-great ones will be missed when he's a toddler.

    ReplyDelete