Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What Do You Do?

I’ve learned that there is a difference between liking your job and liking what you do. I’m happy in my career but I sometimes wonder what it would be like to do something else. Or more specifically, what makes people pursue the odd jobs that they do.

Picture yourself in a lounge in a little black dress and pearls sipping a glass of white wine and someone in a blue blazer with a cigar and Johnny Walker on the rocks says “What do you do?” This happens to me all the time. Don’t you want to respond with something that makes their eyes squint and the corner of their mouth curl up a little? You know by his shoes that he is an investment broker and a hundred people he talks to that night will respond with something equally as boring. What if you said “I buy shoes for Suri Cruise.”

What about the guy that changes the light bulbs on the New Years Eve ball? Did you know that when they build a new athletic stadium (and I assume any major public structure) that all the toilets need to be flushed multiple times before opening day to ensure they work properly and can handle high volume usage? Who does THAT job?

I’m not saying I want to change careers or do any of these things. But seriously, how do you get to be the guy that tests massage tables? I think I’d like that job.

1 comment:

  1. My mom has always claimed her perfect job would be washing windows. She doesn't like washing windows... but she likes the idea of knowing exactly when her job is complete. (And I would guess, with windows, one would sort of just know.)

    I never used to get the "Oh!" look when I told people I was a claims adjuster. Now, I tell them I'm a writer and they go "Oh! Let me tell you this idea I had a dream about/for a novel/lived/etc." It really gets annoying after awhile.

    ReplyDelete