Thursday, February 7, 2013

Shapes, Letters, and Algebra

Caleb will be three soon (*gasp*) and ready for preschool. First of all, what? When did I become the mother of a child old enough for school? I know it's preschool and not 8th grade but it's still 5 days a week with real teachers and a real curriculum. Ok, some of the preschools have a real curriculum. I've learned a lot in the researching I'm doing. There are so many different kinds of schools and it's overwhelming.

Montessori.. I've heard some good things about this type of school and also some not so good. They send these kids home with home work. No kidding homework. I'm sorry, my son is three (almost) there is no way I'm going to get him to sit down long enough to focus on doing 10 pages of a workbook, especially after he has spent an entire day with almost no play time. And no imagination? "in a classical Montessori program, a broomstick would only be used for sweeping a floor; it would not "become" an airplane during imaginary play." Nope. Out.

Then there is the Reggio Emilia model where teachers take cues from the children and format the day around what the children seem to be interested in that morning. Ok, again, he's three (almost), he needs more structure than that. The Waldorf model of preschool focuses on "kids' bodies, spirits, and souls with a nurturing, homelike environment that engages all five senses. Creative play is the most important means of learning" So.. it's a hippie day care?

I'm running out of time, too. Preschools are actually really competitive and I should already have been applying and scheduling interviews for fall enrollment. I'm behind the game and stressing out. Honestly, though, he's three (almost). How much can I really screw him up by putting him in the wrong preschool....

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy's kindergarten teacher said you can't tell which kids had preschool and which didn't. the most important thing to learn in preschool is socialization. by kindergarten he should recognize letters, numbers, shapes and colors and be able to write his name. I was shocked at your description of the Montessori preschool. I though they were the opposite. good luck and don't stress about it

    ReplyDelete