Wednesday, February 27, 2013

An Extension Of My Arm

I need a new phone. More than that our contract with AT&T is up and we'd like to tell them to jam it. But we're good Christian folk so we're just going to let it go and not resign. There are plenty of no contract plans out there that allow you to bring your own unlocked phone. Problem with no contract is paying out of pocket for the phone.

I have a million and one tabs open on my browser for different phones and reviews and plans. It's all a little overwhelming. What am I willing to pay? What am I willing to live without to save some money? I don't exactly know. I just need something better than what I have.

The iPhone is out. Straight up out. A. It's expensive. B. I don't like the monopoly Apple would have on my electronic life. Right now I think I've narrowed it down to a few phones, still expensive. And it's hard knowing I could resign with AT&T and get an iPhone 4 (enough for me) for a penny. Or cut my monthly bill way down but pay hundreds of dollars for a phone I'll likely need to replace in 2 years.

It's a lifestyle upgrade, as Brian puts it. It's not a necessity, it's a luxury. All I really need is something that will make a phone call. And really, I don't even NEED that. I grew up without cell phones and we all survived. But the world is different now and a cell phone is a basic life necessity. But I don't need all the fancy stuff an $800 iPhone can do or the amazing data capabilities of the Galaxy S3. I just want it. I really really want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment