Monday, February 18, 2013

The End Of An Era

It finally happened. After 2.5 years at the clinic the grant money used to provide free ultrasounds to uninsured patients has run out. I got my notice on Saturday. I went in for my shift and there was an envelope sitting on the desk with my name on it. We will have patients scheduled through the end of April and then I'm out of a job.

No worries, this is my second job and I'm still stable in my full time position at the hospital. Actually, more than stable. Things are working in my favor lately with a few new opportunities... but I digress.

Leaving the clinic is bittersweet. I hate that job. I complain every Friday night that I don't want to go to work in the morning. I complain every Saturday morning that I don't want to make the 45 minute commute. I complain when I get home about how miserable my day was. But the money kept me there. And it wasn't a hard job, just a bad job.

I was there in the beginning planning stages before anyone knew how this was all going to work out. It was sort of exciting being a part of something new that had such potential to grow into something big. And I'd be able to say I helped start it all. But in 2.5 years it never expanded beyond that one clinic and the foundation that backed the grant apparently will not be providing any more funding.

I think I'll be glad to have my Saturdays back.

No comments:

Post a Comment